The history of the estate is as rich as the soil itself.
Following the Spanish settlement of the Monterey Bay region, Mexico began granting land in California in 1822. Uniquely, our property comprised the borders of two such grants; Ranchos Los Corralitos and Shoquel Augmentation. Each was family run and developed with an emphasis on ranching. These vast parcels of land included cattle pastureland, farming, timber management and areas of natural brush. By the late 1800s, the two ranchos were consolidated and land use transferred to a concentration on farming. By 1909, the Pajaro Valley was producing and shipping more apples than any other region in the world. Our present day vineyards are planted where apples grew for close to 100 years. The unique green apple crispness of our Chardonnay is reminiscent of the history of our land and celebrates those who worked the soil before us.
Just 10 minutes from the beach at an elevation of approximately 675 feet, our vines enjoy the best of the appellation. From early morning fog blanketing the vineyard, sunny afternoons, to cool breezy evening, the dramatic temperature swing creates complex fruit profiles.
Our estate vineyards consist of 3 blocks. The Chardonnay "A" Block (1.5 acres) is located on the west side of the property. With green apple and citrus continually present in our chardonnay flavor profile, we are reminded of the apple orchards that existed in this location for nearly a century prior to the vineyard. Our Brooks' Block Pinot Noir (1.5 acres), named after our son, is planted with both Pommard and Dijon clones and produces small clusters of berries with intense earthy flavors. The last of our estate blocks is the Three Sisters Pinot Noir (.75 acres), named for our daughters. Planted in 2006, it is both our youngest and smallest block, consisting solely of Dijon clones. These vines produce beautiful, small clusters with flavors of sweet red fruit.
As a perfect complement to the estate vines, we have 3.5 acres of Tuscan olive trees planted on the property. Vines and olives have grown next to each other for centuries. Our grove has allowed us to continue a family tradition of curing olives for personal use and producing olive oil. Planted in 2006, our trees produce a wonderful spicy oil. In our eyes, it is liquid gold.